March 22, 2011

Dealing with Oversupply

In My Breastfeeding Journey post, I briefly mentioned oversupply. I said; Its so hard to see other people breastfeed and complain about little things like sore nipples or over producing. I NEED to edit that statement. Having oversupply, really isn't a small issue.

For someone like myself having oversupply looks like a blessing, something no one should be complaining about. At least your able to feed your baby right? For someone who has oversupply it could be just as much of a struggle as someone who has low supply.

I do not know enough about oversupply to try and educate you, however I wanted to publish a few links for people who are struggling with oversupply to go and check out. I believe education is so important, please don't give up when times get rough. If you educate yourself and find help you can succeed. Breastfeeding will and does get easier. So please take the time to find help, because later down the road you will look back and feel so proud of all you accomplished. Not to mention the benefits to baby if you persevere.

Here are the links I promised, I am sure there are so many more out there. These are just a few to get you started. Enjoy!

http://www.llli.org/faq/oversupply.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
http://www.drjacknewman.com/breastfeeding-help.asp

2 comments:

  1. I found the first link helpful (helpful enough that I didn't read the other 2 hehe)

    It is really awkward to complain about, about as awkward as it is to nurse in public! I constantly have to wear breast pads as I'm always leaking (heaven forbid I forget and end up with a drenched shirt), I get Ilia latched and she'll start choking half the time and pull off, causing a huge stream of milk to go spraying across the room. It is not fun =/ But it's also hard to talk about it with someone who has the opposite problem.

    I think the only plus is that it only takes like 5-10 min to feed her...but the frequency is increased to every 90min - 2hours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you found the site helpful. There are so many more sites and I had a few of them, but lost the links. Hopefully I will find them again, because in my opinion they had tons if tips and tricks to try as well as information about oversupply.

    Have you thought about pumping and donating your milk? I personally love women with oversupply, because those women feed my son. He rarely gets formula until we run out and can't find another donor right away. He gets about 20% -30% (depending on the day) of his daily needs from me and the rest is from donated milk. Plus if you wanted to donate you milk, we are always looking for Z :)

    ReplyDelete